|Golf Victoria is pleased to advise all clubs, Districts and the Victorian Golf League of a revised format for the 2018 Victorian Play 9 Championship including the introduction of Club Qualifying Rounds. The object of the program is to;
- Demonstrate that golfers of all abilities and ages can have great golf experiences in a short amount of time – golf can be time-effective, fast and fun;
- Demonstrate that golf can flexible from a format perspective and fit into busy lives;
- Showcase the golf opportunity to make the most of late afternoons/evenings in daylight saving periods;
- Showcase the fact that nine-hole golf is legitimate for handicapping purposes;
- Highlight the importance of / opportunity provided by shorter forms of the game for the long-term health of our sport – in particular the need for many clubs and facilities to offer nine-hole opportunities to members and visitors alike;
Following last year’s trial introduction of this event, the 2018 Victorian Play 9 Championship will be a 9-hole individual stableford competition with both a men’s and women’s section and comprise three stages:
- Club Qualifying Rounds – All affiliated Victorian golf clubs are strongly encouraged to stage a 9-hole competition for men and women from now (late July) up to 30 September. Each club is welcome to stage either one joint event or separate 9-hole events for men and women at its own discretion.
- State Qualifying Rounds – will be staged from 15 to 31 October at multiple venues across Victoria with a maximum field of 48 players at each course.
- 2018 Victorian Play 9 Championship Final – will be held on the afternoon of Sunday 4 November in Melbourne for 50 men and 50 women progressing from the State Qualifying Rounds. The venue for the final will also be announced by early September.
- More information to come …